Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fog on the Mountain

This morning's foggy drive reminded me of a recent trip to Cumberland Falls. I had great plans to get up early and photograph the Falls with the rising sun in the background. Well...things don't always go according to plan. It rained the night before and the mountain was socked in with fog when I got up. Undaunted, I grabbed my camera and off I went. When I got to the Falls, the "awesome shot" I had pictured in my mind just wasn't going to happen. I waited around thinking the rising sun would burn off the fog, but to no avail. As I made my way back to where I had parked the car, I looked up river to the bridge that crosses the Cumberland river just above the Falls. There it was...the shot. The fog was lifting over the river but the mountains still obscured by the fog. I climbed down to the river's edge and fired off shot after shot trying various combinations of exposure settings. Here's one example of that morning's adventure.



This was not the shot I had planned the night before, but I have learned you have to take what Mother Nature gives you. And maybe...just maybe things will work out. Like the old saying..."When life hands you lemons...make lemonade".

No comments:

Post a Comment